Maryland Employment Attorney
Philip B. Zipin, Partner
Phil has lived in the District of Columbia area since 1979 and in Silver Spring since 1987. Following his graduation from Haverford College, he attended George Washington University Law School, graduating with honors in 1982. After practicing law in the District of Columbia and Rockville, he has maintained his office in Silver Spring since 1996.
Phil has focused on employment law for more than twenty years, representing many hundreds of clients in wrongful discharge, breach of contract, discrimination, and other employment-related matters. He has achieved particular success in wage & hour and overtime cases. In addition, he has counseled numerous small and start-up companies about their employment practices and assisted with their corporate needs.
Phil has received the Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating (the highest rating given) for high ethical standards and professional excellence. Phil has been recognized by his peers in both the Washington, DC and Maryland Super Lawyer magazines. He is a member of the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA), the Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association (MWELA), and the Maryland Employment Lawyers Association (MELA). He is licensed to practice in the District of Columbia and Maryland and regularly appears in both Federal and State Courts and administrative forums.
Areas Of Practice
- Employment Law (emphasis on wage and overtime disputes)
- Start-ups and Corporate Law
- District of Columbia, 1982
- Maryland, 1983
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 1985
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, 1987
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit, 2004
- George Washington University National Law Center, Washington, D.C. 1982Juris Doctor
Honors: Cum Laude
- Haverford College, Haverford, PA, 1978Bachelors of Arts
Honors: Cum Laude
Major: American Studies
- Falica v. Advanced Tenant Services, 2004 Fair Labor Standards Act): Award of $470,000)
- Martinez v. Willard, 2003 (Breach of Contract: Judgment of $120,000)
- Waechter v. John J. Doyle Builder, Inc., 2002 (Breach of Contract and Wage Claim: Judgment of $1,250,000)
- Conte v. Towson University, 2001 ($927,000 Jury Verdict on behalf of former director of research institute)
- BFG, Inc. v. Rosenfeld, 1999 (Fraud and Breach of Contract: Jury Verdict of $400,000 including punitive damages)
- Williams v. Maryland Office Relocators (D. Md. 2006)
- Summary judgment granted for Plaintiff in Fair Labor Standards Act case
- Falica v. Advance Tenant Services, 2005 WL 1522064 (D.D.C., June 27, 2005)
- Award of Liquidated Damages on Fair Labor Standards Act Claim
- Turner v. Human Genome Sciences, Inc., 292 F. Supp 2d 738 (D.Md. 2003)
- Decision Denying Summary Judgment in Fair Labor Standards Act Claim, leading to favorable settlement
- Berry v. Berry & Gould, P.A., 360 Md. 142 (Md. Ct. App. 2000)
- Breach of Partnership Agreement; Successfully Argued before Maryland Court of Appeals that Lost “Good Will” is Not Recoverable
- Heron v. Strader, 361 Md. 258 (Md. Ct. App. 2000)
- Malicious Prosecution; Successfully Argued before Maryland Court of Appeals that Time for Filing Suit for Malicious Prosecution Ran from Date of Acquittal, Not from Date of Wrongful Arrest
- Trevino v. DH Kim Enterprises, Inc.
- Fair Labor Standards Act and Maryland Wage Payment and Collection Act: Judgment of $400,000
- Presenter: “How to Make Your Attorney’s Fee Petition More Palatable to Maryland Judges,” Maryland Employment Lawyers Association (MELA), (11/11)
- Presenter: “Recent Development Wage & Hour Law,” Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA), (10/11)
- Panelist: “Wage & Hour Basics,” Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Conference (MWELA), (4/08)
- Presenter: “Views from the Bench” Conference, Georgetown University Law Center (11/06)
- Presenter: “Employment Law From A to Z,” Lorman Seminars (10/06)
- Panelist: “Wage & Hour Basics,” MWELA Conference, (3/06)
- Presenter: “Views from the Bench” Conference, Georgetown University Law Center (11/05)
- Instructor: Employment Law seminars taught through Georgetown University/DC Bar (3/05) and Montgomery County Public Schools — Adult Division (4/05)
- Panelist: “How to Win the Big Case,” MWELA Conference, (2/05)
- “The Impact of the New Fair Labor Standards Act Regulations,” Silver Spring Chamber of Commerce, (8/04)
- Guest Speaker: “Law School for the Public, ” Employment Law, Montgomery County Cable, 2003
- “How to Manage Your Work Force and Stay Out of Court,” Silver Spring Chamber of Commerce, 2000
Honors And Awards
- Super Lawyers — Corporate Counsel Edition
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers
- Maryland Super Lawyers
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating
- AccuStrata, Inc.
- Appliance Distributors Unlimited, Inc.
- Aster Engineering
- Advance Transportation Services, Inc.
- Awards Limousine Services, Inc.
- Bakery de France, Inc.
- Be Fit and Slim, Inc.
- Blessed Coffee, Inc.
- C.R. Calderon Construction
- EOP Foundation
- Griffinworks, LLC
- Honest Tea, Inc.
- Ironworks, LLC
- Logic Tree Corp.
- Mars Labs, LLC
- Nexigram, LLC
- Partners in Humanity
- PR Concrete Construction, Inc.
- Quatrefoil Associates, Inc.
- Sky Ventures, Inc.
- TASC Development Corporation
- TPSS Co-op
- Thayer Enterprises, Inc.
- Trees for the Future